Thursday, July 30, 2009

Vegetable Lasagna


I had some friends come over to watch So You Think You Can Dance last night. If you don't watch the show you should, because there are some fierce dancers on it! And if you do watch the show...who do you want to win? I am rooting for Kayla...she has A-Mazing extensions and control, not to mention miles of personality!

Anyways, I made lasagna for dinner. I admit it. I was a lasagna virgin. I was nervous, but pushed through. It was worth it. Yum! I will be eating these leftovers happily for the next several days!

Vegetable Lasagna
Adapted from All Recipes

1 package whole wheat lasagna noodles
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup chopped bell pepper (I used red)
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup sliced zucchini
3/4 cup sliced carrot
Spinach
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 jar pasta sauce (I added basil, garlic, pepper and cayenne to my store-bought sauce)
1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese



Cook the lasagna noodles according to directions on box. Drain and rinse with cold water.

In a large saucepan, cook and stir mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, zucchini, carrot, garlic and oil. Stir in pasta sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 15 minutes.

Mix together ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella and eggs.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread tomato sauce into the bottom of a greased 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Layer 1/2 each, lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, spinach, sauce. Repeat layering and top with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.

Bake for about 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment