Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


I had a craving for pie. I didn't know what kind. Just a craving. I like pie a lot. My favorite kind is lemon. No meringue. Just lemon. Odd, I know. But the rhubarb at the fruit stand was calling my name. And the strawberries.

True story. I have only made 2 kinds of pies in my life; lemon and apple. Both were great when I made them, so I wasn't too nervous about this adventure into pie-dom. I got my recipe from Smitten Kitchen. The pie turned out delicious. I had some issues, though.

I really didn't like the crust dough. I had such a difficult time rolling it out and getting it into the pan. Not to mention the lattice pattern. I think perhaps it needed more flour....but I think I will be going back to my old favorite: Martha Stewart's
Pate Brisee. The filling was good, but was a little watery for me. Until the 2nd day. Then it was solidified to my content.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
From
Smitten Kitchen

For crust
3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
10 tablespoons ice water

For filling
3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick slices trimmed rhubarb (1 1/2 pounds untrimmed)
1 16-ounce container strawberries, hulled, halved (about 3 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water, beaten (for glaze)

For Crust:
Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until course meal forms. Blend in enough ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, until moist clumps form. Form dough into a ball and then cut in half. Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for about one hour.

For Filling:
Preheat oven to 400 degress F. Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Mix to combine.

Assembly:
Roll out one dough disk on floured work surface into a 13-inch round. Transfer to a greased 9-inch pie pan. Trim off extra dough, leaving about 3/4 inch overhang.

Roll our second dough disk on floured work surface into another 13-inch round. Cut into fourteen 1/2 inch wide strips. Spoon filling into crust. Arrange 7 dough strips across filling, spaced evenly. Followed by the other 7 strips going to opposite direction. Trim ends to be even with the crust. Brush glaze over lattice pattern.

Place baking sheet under pan and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees and bake for about 25 more minutes, until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, your pie is gorgeous! The crust looks amazing.

    Thanks for the link on the pate brisee--I have never tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie looks exceptional! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete