Friday, July 24, 2009

Vegetable Pasta


When I was in college, my roommates and I lived on pasta, Totino's frozen pizza (they're $1!)and ice cream. Everyone had always told me college would probably be my most unhealthy phase in life. I didn't think so at the time, but looking back, it couldn't be more true!

Although I am still crazy poor, I budget to get as many fresh vegetables in as possible. That is not to say that I still don't sometimes subsist on pasta and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I have learned to add whole grain to the bread, natural peanut butter and vegetables with pasta.

This is one of those dishes I can put together in a snap, is fairly cheap and gets my veggies in! I based the recipe on this one on All Recipes. I add whatever vegetables strike me at the store (or whichever ones are on sale!)

Vegetable Pasta

Whole wheat pasta (I use everything from linguini noodles, to penne and bowtie)
1 large tomato, chopped
Chopped spinach
Fresh basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic
Asparagus, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta as instructed on box.

Combine the tomatoes, spinach, basil, garlic and asparagus in a large saucepanover medium heat. Cook until vegetables are tender.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour and milk. Stir into the saucepan with the vegetables along with the cheese. Reduce temp and allow sauce to thicken.

Top drained pasta with vegetables and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment