Sunday, August 2, 2009

Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream


I made some more ice cream to help beat the heat (it has been unbelieveably muggy here...yuck!). Since all the mint oreo ice cream was gone in a jiffy, and my mint craving had yet to be cured, I chose some chocolate pepperminty goodness. Wise choice, I must say. Again, this recipe was from Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book.

I tried adding some peppermint candy, but I didn't like how it turned out. I think the ice cream is best just by itself. Of course, when I eat it, I do put some chocolate chips on it =)

Light Chocolate Peppermint Ice Cream
Ben and Jerry's

1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
2 large eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract

Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double broiler over hot, not boiling, water. Whisk in the cooat and heat, stirring contstantly. Whisk in the milk, gradually, and hat until completely blended. Remove from heat and let cool.

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in cream, vanilla and peppermint and whisk to blend.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment