Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oreo Mint Ice Cream


It's national ice cream month! Plus it's uber hot and humid here. Put the two together and you get lots of ice cream made by Sugar. I think my favorite kind of ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip. Spice hates anything minty, though, so I haven't made it since I got my ice cream maker. The time has come my little friends.

I got this Ben and Jerry's recipe for Oreo Mint from their Ice Cream and Desserts Book. I think I much prefer Mint Chocolate Chip to the Oreo's in this....although I'm not complaining! I did really like the mint base, though. Very creamy and delicious. And perfect after a long night of rehearsal!

Can I also say how frustrating it is trying to photograph ice cream during day light hours? I don't want to put it in a bowl in the morning just to photograph it before I leave the house, and then it is always dark when I get home at night! Grrr!

Oreo Mint
Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Desserts Book

2/3 cup coarsely chopped oreos (I put in about 1 cup cause I likes da chocolate!)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
(and I added 10-15 drops of green food coloring for the loverly pale green color)

Place the cookies in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minutes more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the peppermint extract and food coloring and blend again.

Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

About 2 minutes before ice cream is done, add the chopped cookies and continue freezing until ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment