Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chocolate Caramel Tart


This tart and I had some issues. I think it was me, though, and not the recipe, so I wanted to post it so I can try again.

In theory, it sounds delish! What is better than a buttery crust, caramel and chocolate...together?! Nothing I can think of beats that! The crust was easy enough. I had to make the caramel twice, though! How frustrating. I think I know how to do it, so next time it wont be as disastrous. I left out the peanuts, though, because I didn't want something to get in the way of the delicious caramel consumption. The chocolate layer never came out right, though. I think it was the cream I used. Anyways, I think you should make this and tell me how it turned out for you. And by you, I mean all 4 of my readers =D

Chocolate Carmel Tart
From Annie's Eats

For tart crust:
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons very cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into chunks

For caramel:
Scant 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons salted butter

For chocolate ganache:
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

To make crust, combine egg yolk, water and vanilla. Set aside. Combine flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and beat for several minutes. Add the egg mixture and beat again until combined. Make into a ball and refrigerate about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Unwrap dough and place on a well-floured surface. Roll out evenly to about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to a greased tart pan (I used a pie pan), and press into sides, getting rid of any excess dough. Cover with foil and place baking beads on top. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Remove beads and foil and poke holes in dough with a fork. Return to oven and bake 15-20 more minutes. Let cool completely.

To make caramel (and I wish you luck here), bring heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet and sprinkle in about 3 tablespoons of sugar. When it melts, stir and add in another 3 tablespoons sugar. When that melts, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir in the corn syrup and let boil until it reaches a caramel color. Stir in the butter and then the cream. Lower the temperature and let it boil for 2 minutes. Let caramel cool slightly before placing in the completely cool tart crust.

To make ganache, put chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil and pour half of it over the chocolate. Gently stir the chocolate and cream together. Pour in the remainder of the cream and stir. When ganache is smooth, stir in butter, piece by piece.

When caramel has thickened in crust. Pour the ganache over the top. Place entire tart in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove and let sit at room temperature until serving.

2 comments:

  1. I have way more misses than hits in my kitchen. But isn't it fun eating our "misses"? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very fussy way to make caramel- I'm sure I would have messed it up too! Your end result still looks yummy though. ;)

    ReplyDelete