Thursday, July 23, 2009

World Peace Cookies aka Chocoalte Nirvana Cookies


My friend whom I lovingly refer to as Butthead is getting married this September. I was lucky enough to be asked to bake her some chocolate desserts for the night before the wedding. How excited am I?!?! Not only was I so ridiculously excited to be asked to bake, but Butthead and I compiled a list of desserts she may want and then I did some investigative research and found recipes for all of them!

Needless to say, if I wasn't Queen of Nerdville before, I sure am now! And what's worse (or more amazing), I'm totally excited about the whole thing!!!

Now, I am in the phase of trying all the desserts out, making sure they taste good and that they will look gorgeous! Too bad Butthead and I live far away because she wont be able to test with me, but I have a good idea of what she likes because we did live together for 2 years in college. Plus I have roommates that will gladly be testers, I am sure!

First up: Dorie Greenspan's famous World Peace Cookies. From what I hear, she named them these because after a friend ate one, she said that if everyone had one of these cookies a day, there would be world peace. That's silly. But these cookies certainly are delicious. I didn't even use quality chocolate and they turned out amazing. So I am naming them for myself: Chocolate Nirvana Cookies. I think these are definitely a keeper for the party, but I may dip one end in white or dark chocolate and cover it with nuts or shaved chocolate. We'll see what Butthead thinks!

World Peace Cookies
Dorie Greenspan

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Sift the flour, cocoa and baking soda together.

Cream the butter and sugars together in a separate bowl, followed by the salt and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix to incorporate.

Turn the dough onto a work surface, mold it together, and cut it in half. Shape each half into logs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 3 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the logs into rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange rounds onto greased baking sheets and bake about 12 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to make World Peace Cookies forEVer and still haven't done it! But now white chocolate ice cream is too high on my list...so more delays! ;) LOL on Queen of Nerdville. (As if.)

    ReplyDelete