Friday, July 3, 2009

Sugar Cookie Bars


Happy 4th of July! (or I guess Happy 3rd of July as I am posting this a day early). I made some sugar cookies and decorated them red, white and blue for the occasion. Actually, I got some new decorating tools and wanted to try them out. Guilty.

These turned out delicious, though. Not as delicious as the recent Snickerdoodle Blondies, but still good. I used a 9 by 13 inch baking dish and they turned out HUGE! And rich, especially with the Magnolia frosting I used. I wanted to shove all of them in my mouth, so I had to send them with Spice to work so others could partake!

Sugar Cookie Bars

1 cup unsaled butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix well.

Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl. Stir to combine.

Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined. Spread into greased baking sheet (I used a 9 by 13, but the original recipe calls for a 13 by 18).

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Cool completely and then frost.

Magnolia's Vanilla Buttercream Icing

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Beat butter until fluffy. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then themilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition, until icing is thick. You may not need to add all the sugar. Add a few drops of food coloring if you so desire!

1 comment:

  1. I actually thought about making sugar cookie bars today!! To add Magnolia's frosting is just genius. If I make these, I will be in the hospital with sugar overload because they look so good.

    ReplyDelete