Monday, July 20, 2009

Coffin Brownies



When will I get over my awe of Martha's genius creativity? Probably never. Look how cute these brownies are! I made them for the same Twilight party as the Vampire Cookies. PS: Have you started reading Twilight, yet? I think it is time. Seriously.

These coffins were so cute! Well, not cute, really, because coffins aren't cute, but they definitely fit the purpose for the party! I wasn't a huge fan of the actual brownie...I thought it was too salty or something. But they definitely cut and decorated well! Plus I got lots of compliments. That's always a good thing.

I changed the recipe a little because I didn't want almonds in my brownies, couldn't find marzipan, didn't have fleur-de-lis, and wanted to use a 13 by 9 inch pan.

Speaking of geniuses, I also used Alton Brown's recipe for Royal Icing. Martha + Alton = Overwhelming Geniusosity, or something.

Coffin Brownies
Adapted from the Brilliant Martha Stewart

1 cup plus 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour2 teaspoons salt
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
Royal Icing

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan.

Combine flour and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Sift in cocoa powder and whisk to combine. Let cool 3 minutes before whisking in the eggs and vanilla, followed by the sugars and flour mixture. Stir until just combined.

Bake about 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting. Martha gives you a coffin stencil you can use, but I just drew my own. When brownies are completely cool, use a sharp knife to cut around the stencil.

Royal Icing
From Alton Brown

3 ounces pasteurized egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar

In large bowl of stand mixer combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny. Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired. For immediate use, transfer icing to pastry bag or heavy duty storage bag and pipe as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment