Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Sugar Cookies

I hope you had an excellent Halloween! Our party was so much fun and, of course, everyone loved the food. Including myself =) I definitely had a few too many cookies, made pretty apparent by the picture below where my friend India and I are about to eat the entire plate!


I had so much fun decorating these cookies and they turned out super awesome! I really liked the recipe I used for the sugar cookies. I made sure to refrigerate the dough overnight and then after I rolled and cut out the dough, I refrigerated it again before I put it in the oven. The result? They didn't puff out at all and kept their shape almost perfectly. Not to mention they were also delicious.

I used the same recipe for royal icing that I used before here. I used Americolor soft gels to color the icing white, black, orange and green.


Cut Out Sugar Cookies
The Hungry Housewife

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and extract and beat to incorporate.

In a separate bowl sift together to flour, baking powder and salt.

Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Divide the dough into 2 portions, wrap with wax paper and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Remove the dough, roll out to 3/8 inch thick in between sheets of parchment paper and cut into desired shapes.

Place cut cookie dough back into fridge for 10-15 minutes. Bake cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet for 8-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.

4 comments:

  1. [...] think she thought it was too stressful and I’ll probably be on my own decorating from now on! Cookie Recipe Royal Icing Recipe Spice and I journeyed to Hoboken, New Jersey to watch the superbowl at [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Here’s the cookie recipe. And here’s the icing recipe. Go to town! [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] used this cookie recipe and this royal icing recipe. Have a great [...]

    ReplyDelete