Monday, November 9, 2009

Peanut Butter Blondies


I had high hopes for these guys...I mean, seriously, how can you go bad with peanut butter (unless you don't like peanut butter and then your just an oddball!)?! I was expecting some delicious bar cookie with a brownie-like texture and a subtle shade of chocolate.

I don't really think I got that. I was not overly impressed with these blondies. I suppose they came out well, because I got lots of compliments at work about them. I found them to be a little dry and not fudgy enough, not at all like a brownie should be.

I really wanted some gooey, peanut-buttery, lick your fingers good bar here. Not so much. I think they were better the second day, but still not all I hoped they would be. They were a very good cookie bar, don't get me wrong. Still delicious, but don't bake these thinking you will have a brownie. Not gonna happen.

Peanut Butter Blondies
Smitten Kitchen

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in middle. Butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan, then line bottom of pan with parchment paper and butter parchment.

Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, then add peanut butter and beat until incorporated. Beat in whole eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low, then mix in flour until just combined.

Mix in chocolate chips (1 1/2 cups) then spread batter in baking pan, smoothing top.

Bake until brownies are deep golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

Cool completely in pan on a rack, about 1 1/2 hours.

Make ganache: Put chocolate chips (1 1/2 cups) in a heatproof bowl.

Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan, then pour over chocolate chips and let mixture stand for one minute.

Gently whisk in butter until it is incorporated, chocolate is melted, and a smooth mixture forms.

Spread ganache on cooled brownies and let stand until set, about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment