Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting


You know when you think you don't like something and then someone tricks you into eating it and you find out that you, in fact, love it?

My best friend growing up doesn't like chocolate, but her favorite kind of cupcake is red velvet. I have yet to tell her it is a mild chocolate cupcake dyed red.

When Annie Bananie first moved in, she told me she hated cream cheese frosting. Being the good friend/roommate I am, I tried to use buttercream frostings where I could. Example A. Of course, I couldn't help myself (mostly because I'm not a huge fan of buttercream) and made some cream cheese frosting for these bad boys. Needless to say, Annie Bananie tried one when I had them out on the counter and I get a text saying how much she likes them and the frosting! Um...excuse me. It's cream cheese frosting, Goofball! I am now convinced she really does like cream cheese frosting because she also really enjoyed this cinnamon cream cheese. Maybe I just wont tell her when I use cream cheese!

I made these cupcakes for the Halloween party. They were super duper soft, and very flavorful, probably since I overdosed on the spices a bit, but in a good way, I promise! I really had to fart around with the cinnamon frosting because I wanted to get the right texture to pipe it on to the cupcakes. I really liked the end result and it matched perfectly with the cake!


Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
Williams Sonoma

2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I probably used about 3)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I probably used about 1/2 a teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I probably used about 1/2 a teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcakes liners and spray with cooking spray.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar and oil. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition.

Add the flour mixture in three additions, stirring with a large wooden spoon until just combined.

Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake until the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the tins and let cool completely before frosting.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
4 cups (approximately) powdered sugar

Mix cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add the vanilla and cinnamon while mixing. Slowly add the powdered sugar until you have the consistency you want.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, Ok, I admit that I like certain types of cream cheese frosting. I didn't like the kind on the red velvet but I LOVED this one! I'm just picky!

    ReplyDelete