Friday, November 13, 2009

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins


Yes, more attempts to rid myself of the applesauce that is taking over the refrigerator.

Awhile ago, Spice bought a new muffin pan because I only had a 6 muffin one. She bought one of those silicone ones...which I am beginning to loath! I find the darned little guy frustrating! He is so absurdly flexible for a baking pan and bends way too easily for my tastes. I find that muffins and cupcakes don't cook very well in it either, requiring much more time than usual to bake. He is also extremely difficult to clean! I can't get him to be stable enough to scrub and just get so frustrated! Grrr...point being, I don't recommend silicone baking products. If they work for you, I give you major brownie points (brownies...mmmm).

Despite my frustrations, I am happy to say that these muffins are delicious! MUCH better the next day and I added a bit of a streusel topping just to make me happier! Because it's all about me, after all =)


Whole Wheat Pumpkin-Applesauce Muffins
All Recipes

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups or line the cups with paper muffin liners.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.

Combine the brown sugar, white sugar, oil, applesauce, pumpkin, buttermilk and beaten eggs and mix until well blended. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin pan.

In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, raw sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut butter into mixture until it resembles a crumbly mixture. Top each muffin with streusel mixture.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes (unless you have a lame silicone muffin pan and then its more like 25 to 30 minutes). Cool the muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. LOL at the little side-comment, "(brownies...mmmm)"! :-)))

    ReplyDelete