Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Spread and Sweet Potato Casserole


Happy food hangover day! Or something of the sorts...

I had such a great Thanksgiving and have enough recipes to get me through several weeks of blogging!

I packed all my goods into a large (and I do mean large!) shoulder bag on Thursday and headed over to my friend India's apartment, where I found her assembling her father's recipe for homemade stuffing.

We assembled and baked and cut and diced and played around in the kitchen the entire afternoon and had fun arranging all our dishes in the oven.

Mid afternoon our friend Diandra joined us and made a delicious Walnut Soup and salad for us. Of course, we had to assemble all the food on India's kitchen table for picture time. Smile food!


In case you are wondering what all is on the table, here is our list:

Brisket (random, I'm aware)
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato casserole
Stuffing
Wheat rolls
Salad
Macaroni and cheese
Cornbread

We filled our plates to the nines and I (brilliantly) remembered to photograph my plate full of deliciousness. Jealous? You should be!


Even through all the rich food we inhaled, there was no way we weren't ready for dessert (obviously). India made her Dad's Apple and Berry Crumble (which I sheepishly didn't get a picture of) and a Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake from yours truly.

I probably don't need to tell you that we didn't even make a dent in the food that night and had so many leftovers its a bit out of control. Hope your Thanksgiving was as coma-inducing as ours was. Here is the recipe for the Sweet Potato Casserole I made. It is probably my favorite holiday dish and demand it every time I go home.

Sweet Potato Casserole
All Recipes

5 sweet potatoes (I used 3 extra large ones)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.

Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel and mash.

In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar and chopped pecans. Mix with your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment