Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dorie's "Grandma's All-Occasion Sugar Cookies"


This past weekend I wanted to try a new sugar cookie cut out recipe and, of course, who better to go to than Dorie Greenspan herself? Tuesdays With Dorie baked up some of these awhile ago and I saw lots of posts about how good they were as roll out cookies. So far so good, right?

Eh, not so much. The dough was super soft and even though I managed to get them cut and on baking sheets, they puffed up and hardly kept their shape when baked. Boo. I quickly gave up and just started making them drop cookies with sprinkles.


The actual cookies were great! We couldn't stop eating them at our house. I really liked the texture. They were very crisp and chewy. I wouldn't try them as a cut out cookie, however. Just sayin'.

Grandma's All-Occasion Sugar Cookies
Dorie Greenspan

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
10 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.

Cream the sugar and butter together with a mixer. Add the egg and egg yolk. Add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture slowly, mixing until all combined.

Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and dip into sprinkles of your choice of simply place on parchment paper. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pathetically grateful to see that someone else doesn't always have stellar luck with one of Dorie's recipes--I actually haven't tried one of her recipes I like yet, but don't tell the blogging world ;)

    ReplyDelete