Friday, October 30, 2009

Gingerbread Skeletons


Happy (almost) Halloween!!

To me, it's Halloween because we're having a party tonight! Woot!

I went a little decorating crazy this week....you will see what I mean the next time I post. But these boys were a last minute addition. Aren't they cute? And such a great idea!

My gingerbread man cookie cutter is on the small side, so it took me awhile to perfect the skeleton on the cookies, especially since I didn't have a tip any smaller than #4! I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, though! And the cookie isn't bad either! Soft and chewy but still firm enough for decorations!

Gingerbread Skeletons
Epicurious

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
Royal icing

In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter together. Add molasses and water.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, ginger and allspice. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet and blend until the dough holds together.

Cover and chill for 2-3 hours (I chilled it overnight).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface.

Cut shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Decorate with white royal icing.

1 comment: