Thursday, November 12, 2009

Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies


Our apartment is overflowing with applesauce. Not really, I guess, but I do have a HUGE tub of it in the refrigerator still. These were my first attempt at using up said applesauce.

I have a small bone to pick with Martha's people: How come my cookies were not like the cookies in the picture? I made them just like you said to, and even chilled them for awhile in the refrigerator! Please don't disappoint me again. I love Martha and would hate to have a reason to take the opposite stance. Thanks.

The cookies tasted great, but I guess I was expecting a chunkier cookie. I should have known that with the applesauce, they would spread out. These were very sweet and the maple glaze really put them over the moon!


Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
Martha Stewart

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup chunky style applesauce
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until combined. Add egg and applesauce, mix until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Chill dough (I chilled it overnight).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop dough onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies until golden and just set, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Whisk confectioners' sugar, syrup and 3 tablespoons water until smooth. Drizzle over completely cooled cookies and let set.

No comments:

Post a Comment