Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Applesauce

I really hate peeling and cutting apples. Probably tops the list of one of my least favorite activities, along with babysitting, flying and cleaning Spice's hair out of the bathroom.

However, I absolutely LOVE apples in general, including apple desserts, which makes it difficult to say no to the tedious activity of peeling and cutting the little buggers.

Haven't made anything with apples for a long while, so I made some applesauce. And don't you worry your pretty little head because I've got some plans for this applesauce. Actually, I HAD plans for the applesauce, but they are over now, I just haven't posted the excitement yet.

This was GREAT applesauce. I really like my applesauce without any sugar, but with lots of fun flavors. I used Simply Recipes' version and omitted the sugar because apples are sweet on their own! Step away from the sugar....


Applesauce
Simply Recipes

3-4 lbs of peeled, cored and quartered apples (I used granny smith, they're da bomb)
4 strips of lemon peel
Juice of 1 lemon (3-4 tablespoons)
3 inches of cinnamon stick
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom

Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer 20-30 minutes.

Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.

No comments:

Post a Comment