Friday, November 20, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Bars


I'm not going to lie. I love pumpkin. I think that's pretty obvious here. Strangely enough, however, I am not a huge fan of pumpkin pie. Don't get me wrong. There's sugar in it, I'll eat it. I'd just rather something else.
I found this recipe for pumpkin pie bars and thought they would be a welcome change. I really liked the bars. The filling was like a pumpkin pie filling, but a little creamier. The crust was great! I liked the oatmeal in it. And the butterscotch chips on top really made did it for me! 


I wolfed down about half the pan of these, but Annie Bananie, my only other tester, didn't really care for them. She REALLY didn't like the butterscotch chips. Decide for yourself:


Pumpkin Pie Bars


1 1/3 cups flour

3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup cold butter

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats, uncooked

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened

3 eggs

1 15-oz can pumpkin

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

butterscotch chips


Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13 by 9 inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides; grease foil. Mix flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in oats.


Reserve 1 cup oat mixture; press remaining onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes. Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin and spice with mixer until well blended. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and butterscotch chips.


Bake 25 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Use foil to transfer dessert from pan to wire rack; cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment