Monday, February 1, 2010

Skiing 101

Bananie took me skiing this past weekend. I used to ski when I was little, but as I got older, flying down a mountain strapped to two sticks of wood just didn't peak my excitement. Nonetheless, Bananie wont stop talking about this "fun" activity and I just had to see for myself. She made me get up at the buttcrack of dawn. Thankfully she brought me a bagel and I got to watch the sunrise as we drove up to the mountain.

"AHHHH! Annie! The sky's on fire!!!!! We'd better go back to bed!

Promptly upon attaching the skiis to my boots (which had my feet in a grizzly death grip), I managed to slide backwards and fall in a tangled heap; skiis, hair, legs and arms on completely different planets. I dissolved into a full-on heave laugh while 5 year olds whizzed past me (and the little punks didn't even have poles! Showoffs....)

Luckily once I took a run down the baby-hill, muscle memory kicked in a teensy weensy bit and I advanced to the beginner slopes! Whew! Chair lift here I come!

The views were gorgeous and we lucked out on a superbly beautiful day!

(aka I couldn't stop snapping pictures)

Unfortunately, oil from the chair lift managed to drip itself (jerk) onto both Bananie and my's jackets. Poor Bananie's white jacket looked like a bird had taken a liking to her. She ended up with an "ski ambassador's jacket".

Whatever that means.

Bananie had to alert the media about what happened to her jacket while were take a jolly ride (oil-free, I might add) on the chair lift.

The easiest way I found to ski was to play "follow the leader" down the hill, playing a 4-year old to Bananie the "ski ambassador".

Every once in awhile I would release my ambassador and let her loose down the mountain.

Woah! Bananie, please don't die. I'll make you something sweet when we get home.

By the end of the day, with my feet perfectly numb both from the darn vice-like boots and the cold, I was skiing like a pro.

And by "pro" I mean I took up what we called the "granny stance": butt way back and hunched over my knees. What a sight!

Good thing we didn't get a picture of that! ;)

2 comments: