Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vegetable Minestrone

Tah dah! I bring you real food!

Although we ALL know sugar is waaaaay more fun!

At least it is for me. But sometimes I need to take the measuring cup out of the sugar bag, stick the butter back in the fridge and cut up some veggies.

I found this recipe on What a Dish's site, and knew immediately it was going to be my dinner for the week. I made a huge batch of it on Sunday and let it simmer on the stove for most of the afternoon. It was perfect and I have been enjoying it thoroughly all week. I think I may turn into a Minestrone.

Whatever that is...

I left out the pasta this time around, just for kicks.

Vegetable Minestrone adapted from What a Dish!

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
3 carrots, sliced
2 cups veggie broth
2 cups water
4 cups tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 cup fresh green beans, rinsed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
2 zucchinis, quartered and sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot, over medium-low heat, heat olive oil and saute garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots, saute for 1 to 2 minutes.

Add veggie broth, water and tomato sauce, bring to boil, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat to low and add kidney beans, green beans, spinach leaves, zucchini, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, the longer the better.  (If the liquid level goes down too much, you may need to add extra broth or water).

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I was just gonna comment on how I love the new blog, and then I saw you used a recipe from mine- how cool!! I've made it without the pasta, too and it's delish either way. Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the minestrone recipe I use too! (But I live for pasta.) ;D It's delish!

    ReplyDelete