Friday, February 19, 2010

Mocha Cupcakes



Bananie informed me that she had to bring treats to class last weekend. Yes, she is in graduate school and not 5th grade and yes, they apparently still have snack time.

I decided this was the perfect opportunity to make one of my favorite flavors: coffee!! In cupcake form! My reasoning is that I wouldn't have to have it in the house and could send the cupcakes on their merry little way to class with Bananie.

The cupcakes met their doom, however. I packed these lovely little dudes in our handy cupcake carrier and set them out for Bananie to take with her.

Unfortunately, the cupcakes ended up in the bottom of a large bag and by the time Bananie had trecked the 10 blocks to the subway station, they were apparently in tatters. This post is full of unfortune because Bananie didn't save the cupcakes for us. (Mind you, Spice and I would have hovered over the smushed cupcakes with a fork.) She...THREW THEM AWAY! Nope, not sad at all over here.

Nonetheless, the cupcakes were great! With a big coffee flavor. I used Martha's seven minute frosting, basically meringue, which I had never used before. I think I prefer cream cheese frosting or buttercream, but it was great to experiment with a different recipe!

Mocha Cupcakes from Martha Stewart's Cupcake Book

For the cupcakes:
2 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
3/4 cup freshly brewed espresso
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (not instant coffee)

For the frosting:
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
6 large egg whites, room temperature
2 tablespoons pure coffee extract

Make the Cupcakes:

Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.

Whisk together cake flour and cocoa. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter until smooth and light. Add the brown sugar and eggs; beat until fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add the vanilla, baking soda, and salt; beat to combine thoroughly.

Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of sour cream, and beating until just combined after each. Mix together brewed espresso and espresso powder; add to batter, and beat until smooth.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, about 22 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely be¬fore removing cupcakes.

Make the Frosting:

Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar with the water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling, without stirring, until syrup reaches 230°F (110°C).

Meanwhile, in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With mixer running, add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating to combine.

As soon as sugar syrup reaches 230°F (110°C), remove from the heat. With mixer on medium-low speed, pour syrup down side of bowl in a slow, steady stream. Raise speed to medium-high; whisk until mixture is completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl) and stiff (but not dry) peaks form, about 7 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons coffee extract, whisking to combine. Use immediately.

7 comments:

  1. I just didn't think carrying a smushed and gooey mess around for 4 hours really made any sense, and the carrier in bag trick has worked in the past. These cupcakes were just doomed from the start I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be so sad too. But at least you got to taste them. Wait. Did you say a "meringue" frosting, and you LIKED it? I'm tellin' your dad! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post literally made me laugh out loud. :)) Well at least the cupcakes in the picture are pretty!

    I love the look of the new website! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] and with a few disclaimers (I made her promise not to throw away my hard work and money like last time!), I made these for the little [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked Martha's Mocha cupcakes. A coffee-lover myself, I picked this for our group bake last week but unfortunately, the outcome fell short of my expectation. It could very well be a problem with the execution. The cupcakes had a strong baking soda aftertaste, was not as moist as the other Martha bakes we've attempted and I didn't particularly enjoy the Italian meringue-mocha combo. Apparently you've had much success with yours. Did you tweak anything in the recipe? Would appreciate some input - I love coffee and hope to re-attempt this someday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny, I'm so sorry these cupcakes didn't work out for you! From the one cupcake I had of these, I didn't experience the baking soda aftertaste. The only thing I can think of is to try mixing the baking soda with the flour and cocoa so it is completely mixed and wont end up concentrated in certain parts of the batter. I'm not sure why yours weren't as moist. Make sure you don't use fat free sour cream and make sure your eggs are "large". Also, you have to make sure to use instant espresso powder and not instant coffe (it took me several different grocery stores to find it). The meringue may be just personal preference. It wasn't my favorite frosting. You also can't overmix the meringue or it turns out very tough. Hope that helps! I'm sorry Martha's recipe let you down!

    ReplyDelete