Friday, February 26, 2010

Onion Rings



So you know when you bite into something really delicious and you just kind of sit there for a second with it in you mouth and think about how life doesn't get much better? And your tastebuds are in overdrive and you are just using every sensation you have in your mouth to drain every bit of goodness from said delicious thing?

Yah, these guys will make that happen. Trust me. Or don't trust me, go make them. Then you will see that I never lie.

In the wake of yet ANOTHER snowstorm here in New York (which I must say I'm still all atwitter about but I swear I can hear the rest of the city mumbling curse words under their breath), I decided some fried deliciousness was in order. Since I mde doughnuts on the last snow day, I thought I should keep with the theme.  And I remembered some over the top amazing looking onion rings over at The Brown Eyed Baker, and new I was destined for a delicious dinner.

These are so easy to make and I am just so impressed with myself for making them and prolonging my frequent visit to Outback Steakhouse for their bloomin' onion appetizer (yes, I usually eat the whole thing). The dipping sauce is perfectly tangy to complement the fried love, or at least that's what I'm calling these.



Onion Rings with Dipping Sauce from The Brown Eyed Baker

  • 2 medium sweet onions

  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

  • 1/2 cup buttermilk

  • 1 egg

  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

  • 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine ¼ cup flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a bowl.

In another bowl combine the buttermilk, egg and additional flour, whisking until a smooth batter is formed.

In a third bowl, place the crushed potato chips.

Prepare the onion rings by first dipping a ring into the seasoned flour, then into the batter (let the excess batter drip off), and then coat with the crushed potato chips. As you finish the rings, place them on a large plate. Repeat with all rings.

Cover a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Drizzle the vegetable oil on the parchment-lined sheet and place in the oven for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the sheet from the oven and tilt to evenly coat with oil.

Working quickly, place your onion rings on the baking sheet and return to oven. Bake for 8 minutes, then flip onion rings and bake for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.

Dipping Sauce

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise

  • 2 teaspoons ketchup

  • 2 tablespoons horseradish

  • 1/4 tablespoons paprika

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano

  • Dash ground black pepper

  • Dash cayenne pepper


Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.

5 comments:

  1. I WANT A BLOOMIN ONION!!!!!! How do we make one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potato chips--what a unique idea! I can almost taste those and the sauce just looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Without even having to deep-fat fry them! Yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might hafta make these sometime. I LOVE onion rings. I love the deliciously fatty bloomin' onion, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for a snow day! I'm glad you loved them as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete