Monday, January 4, 2010

Southwestern Cheese Dip

When I was in high school, my family and I frequented a restaurant called Santa Fe Cafe that served Southwestern food, which I apparently love based on this restaurant. We would always get the same thing: the cheese dip appetizer and the cheese enchiladas. The enchiladas were on a level all their own. They were literally a bowl of cheesy, spicy and enchilada-y goodness.

The cheese dip was its own beast. It was so good, I just wanted to go swim in a vat of it. My Stepmom and I decided we had to try to recreate it at home. Hence this recipe. This stuff is so processed its out of control, but if you can forget about that little tidbit of information, you will fall in love with this dip.

Spice and I started a monthly tradition of nachos at our apartment. We've only had one night of this routine (in which we ate an entire bag of Tostitos...ooops!), but next time I will surely be making this.

Southwestern Cheese Dip

1 lb. Velveeta
1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
1 4-oz can chopped green chili's with juice
1/2 4-oz can chopped jalapeƱo chili's with juice
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup sour cream
1 tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped, sauteed onion

Heat all ingredients in a saucepan, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Serve with nacho chips.

3 comments:

  1. since when is there a monthly tradition of nachos?? When is the next one??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on forgetting about processed--sometimes you just gotta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the next nacho night is on a weekend, please invite ME!!

    ReplyDelete