Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Blueberry Muffins


I got so much for Christmas this year that it was simply impossible to pack it all in my suitcase back to NY. So the parental units and I packed whatever I couldn't fit (my Martha Stewart Cupcake and Cookie books, a cookie decorating book, 2 cookie sheets and The New Best Recipe Cookbook, among other things). I know, I'm a fairly spoiled young lady =) Get over it!

When the mailman came to deliver this nice, large, pretty heavy box, no one was home (such my luck). And, of course, the Post Service here in NY will not try to redeliver. Unfortunately I live 10 blocks away from the post office, which happens to be right next to the subway station, but is always closed when I get home. One morning a few weeks ago, I decided my arms were ready for some fun and decided to get said box.

Now, I am not a weak person, but as the post office woman laughed at me as I struggled out of the door, I realized the next 15 minutes were going to be brutal on my poor arms. With a hurt foot, I figured my arms could use a little workout. I got a full 2 blocks before I had to set my precious gifts down and take a breather.

I finally managed to lug the big box back to my apartment. And don't worry, even though my arms were sore for about 2 days afterwards, the contents of the box made up for it! And if I hadn't done said box lifting, I wouldn't have been able to share these really awesome blueberry muffins with my co-workers.

Blueberry Muffins
The New Best Recipe Cookbook

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/4 cups sour cream (I used greek yogurt)
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk the egg in a second medium bowl until well combined and light-colored, about 20 seconds. Add the sugar and whisk vigorously until thick and homogeneous, about 30 seconds; add the melted butter in 2 or 3 additions, whisking to combine after each addition. Add the sour cream (or greek yogurt) in 2 additions, whisking just to combine.

Add the berries to the dry ingredients and gently toss just to combine. Add the sour cream (or yogurt) mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until the batter comes together and the berries are evenly distributed, 25-30 seconds (small spots of flour may remain, and the batter will be thick. Do not overmix).

Using a large spoon, divide the batter among the greased muffin cups. Bake until the muffins are light golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

While the muffins are cooling, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a small bowl and melt 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. After the baked muffins have cooled 5 minutes, working one at a time, dip the top of each muffin in melted butter and then cinnamon sugar. Set the muffins upright on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. I can picture the struggle--sounds like a sitcom. :)) I love your addition of Greek yogurt--I've been using yogurt a lot lately as a sub for liquid or for sour cream, and I've been very pleased with the results. Your muffins look like they are from a bakery!

    ReplyDelete