Monday, January 25, 2010

Did You Miss Me?


Greetings Foodies!

It has been quite sometime since I have graced this blog with my presence. And in my absence I am appalled at what has been done. Sugar, my darling roomie, has given you dessert after dessert, sure her chocolates, cupcakes, and cookies are delicious (I should know, I get to eat them all!) But I know first hand the perils of so many sweets, the dreaded Sugar Crash and the resulting withdrawals. I can see you now withering on the floor screaming for someone to give you just one more cookie, but it never is just one more, is it?

But don't worry I am here now and promise to help the best way I know how, with carbs.

For Christmas this year my parents got me The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and I have decided to work my way through this book one recipe a week and share what I have learned with all of you. Now keep in mind that some of these recipes are involved and many of them have steps that you have to do hours if not days before. But I promise you the results will be worth it.

Week 1 - Anadama Bread
I love this bread and it makes the best toast! This recipe makes 3 loaves and they do freeze well so I would recommend just doing the whole batch so you always have some yummy bread on hand.


Soaker:

6 ounces of course ground cornmeal aka polenta

8 ounces/ 1 cup of water



Dough:

20.25 ounces/ 4.5 cups of unbleached bread flour

2 teaspoons of instant yeast

8 ounces of water

1.5 teaspoon of salt

4 ounces of molasses

1 ounce of shortening

cornmeal for dusting


Day Before:

Make soaker by mixing cornmeal and water, cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight at room temp


Make Dough:

Stir together 2 cups flour, yeast, soaker and water in mixer bowl. Cover with towel and ferment for 1 hour, until the mix begins to bubble.

Add remaining 2.5 cups of flour, salt, molasses, and shortening on low speed with paddle attachment, until all ingredients form a ball. Add water if necessary to make a soft, slightly sticky mass. Knead on medium speed for 6 to 8 minutes.


Lightly oil a bowl and transfer dough, rolling it around to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and ferment at room temperature fro 90 minutes, or until it doubles in size.


Remove dough from bowl and divide into 3 parts of 16 ounces. Shape the dough into loaves and place into slightly oiled bread pans (8.5 by 4.5 pans) Mist the top with cooking spray and loosely cover with plastic wrap.

Proof at room temperature fro 90 minutes or until loaves crest about pans.


Preheat oven to 350 with over rack in the middle shelf. Place bread pans on a sheet pan and remove plastic wrap. Mist tops of loaves with water and sprinkle cornmeal on top.


Bake for 20 minutes. Rotate the sheet pan and bake another 20/30 minutes until loaves are golden brown, and register at least 185 to 190 in center. Makes a hallow sound when thumped on the bottom.


Remove from pans immediately and cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing or serving.




3 comments:

  1. I have & LOVE that cookbook! Even though the only thing I've made from it, so far, is the pizza dough, it is THE pizza dough recipe I've been looking for! Best ever, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brave to work your way through the book! You are apparently off to a wonderful start--it's beautiful. Surprisingly, even though I love molasses and cornmeal, I've not made this bread. Now that I've seen yours, I'm tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] it. This my friends is homemade focaccia bread. I know it has been awhile since I have posted about my bread making adventures, and truth be told it’s because I am lazy. These recipes do not only take about 2 days to [...]

    ReplyDelete