Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats

First things first: I had three of the weirdest dreams last night. I used to be the queen of strange dreams, but I haven't had too many weird ones since I graduated from college. I thought I had grown out of it. Apparently not. I'm telling you this in case you have an idea as to what any of these mean. The first one was at my parents' house and a Native American outside who was strategically trying to get in and kill us, although my dad didn't seem to think so until the very end of the dream. The second one involved a missing coffee maker and our downstairs neighbor standing in our bathroom. The third one I was in a lab of some kind looking for my brother. We were both teethless and sat down to play cards.

Stop looking at me like that! I told you, they were WEIRD! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Onward to the food! I am obsessed with rice crispy treats. In high school, my friend's mother would make us a batch of them and literally cut it in half for us to eat. Ah, good times. What's so special about these, you may ask? Butter. Both in quantity and preparedness. These are literally just rice crispy treats with an extra punch of browned butter. Awesome!

Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats
Smitten Kitchen

1 stick unsalted butter
1 10-oz bag marshmallows
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. It will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden, then start to turn brown and smell nutty. Stir frequently.

As soon as the butter turns a nutty color, turn off the heat and add the marshmallows. If the butter does not melt them, turn the heat on low.

Remove from stove and stir in the salt and cereal together. Spread into prepared pan and let cool.

3 comments:

  1. This is just genius. I can't wait to try browned butter in our next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is the buttah salted or unsalted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny, get ready because its going to blow your mind!

    And Dish, I used unsalted and it was divine!

    ReplyDelete