Thursday, January 21, 2010

Caramels


I have been meaning to make these for some time now. I had them on my list before Christmas and just never got around to it. Last weekend was the time, though. And boy, am I glad I found time for these little goobers! They are so sinfully delicous it should be a crime.

And here's a secret: They are SO stinkin' easy to make! The only thing you really need is a candy thermometer. Spice and I both had the day off on Monday, and we had planned to literally sit on the couch all day and catch up on Season 5 of Lost before the 6th and final season started. I had the brilliant idea to make these caramels while Spice took it upon herself to make 3 different kinds of cookies. Fat kid day!!!!!

What a success the day turned out to be. And by success I mean we watched 18 episodes of Lost and stuffed our faces full of cookies and caramels. Needless to say, after gorging myself on so much sugar, the caramels had to go. To the office that is! Where I got oh so many compliments and went skipping off to my desk.

Caramels

2 cups white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup evaporated milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup salted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan.

In a large pot over medium heat, combine the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, evaporated milk, whipping cream and butter. Monitor the heat of the mixture while stirring with a candy thermometer. When the thermometer reads between 235 and 240 degrees F, remove the pot from the heat.

Stir in the vanilla. Transfer to the prepared pan and let cool completely. When cooled, cut the caramel into squares and wrap in wax paper for storage.

3 comments:

  1. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Caramels are my FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY AM I NOT THERE TO ENJOY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these not the BEST?! I love them! Your definition of "success" is spot-on. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay- I'm so glad you made them and liked them! They look great. And they are super easy; the "hardest" part is all the stirring!!

    ReplyDelete