Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lightened Rice Pudding


I have a healthy (or not so healthy) obsession with Indian Food. When Spice and I get too lazy to cook, we frequently order from a nearby Indian food restaurant. They have a cheap delivery special where you get an appetizer, entree and dessert. Holy guacamole! Or Holy tikki masala (because that's what I usually order)! I also usually get the rice pudding for dessert, which they call kheer. Don't ask why, but I got a craving for just the rice pudding the other day. So I made some. Good story.

This is a recipe from Martha. Genius. It turned out SO good! I have never made pudding, let alone rice pudding before but this was easy and turned out super delicious! I used brown rice instead of white and used some 2% milk because I had it in the fridge.

Rice Pudding
Martha Stewart

1 cup brown rice
3 cups skim milk
3 cups 2% milk
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom

Combine rice and 5 cups milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally until rice is tender, 30-40 minutes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla, spices and remaining cup milk. Slowly pout egg mixture into rice mixture and cook over medium-low, stirring constantly, until pudding coats the back of the spoon, 15-20 minutes.

Remove from heat. Pour pudding into a 6-quart casserole dish or large bowl. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to use brown rice--this reminds me of childhood. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete