Saturday, August 8, 2009

Peach Cake



My awesome friends and I made our own Iron Chef last night. The winner? Frankie with his mango shrimp on a bed of zuccini coleslaw! I wasn't competing last night, but in pure Sugar fashion, I made a cake! A peach cake to be exact!

I got this recipe from Lady Jay Pee at Eating, etc, who got it from a neighbor. Genius neighbor! This cake was so fantastic, I can't even tell you (except I just did)! Lady Jay Pee used rhubarb in her cake, and apparently the original called for apple, so I suppose you could use whatever fruit struck you! The cake was a big hit. We ate it, in pure NY style, with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.

Peach Cake

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 peaches, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round spring form pan.

Cream together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.

Mix in dry ingredients. Add the rhubarb and mix well. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Just before serving, drizzle with butter sauce (below).

Butter Sauce

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil for one minute, watching carefully. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.




2 comments:

  1. I just asked you on email how the peach cake turned out, then had a duh moment when I remembered to check your blog. Peach sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches, cake, butter sauce--what's not to like? :) Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete