Friday, August 21, 2009

Vegetable Frittata


My Dad makes the BEST frittata. He makes it every Easter. I always kind of took it for granted how good his frittata really was. Then one year, I just couldn't eat enough of it and begged my Dad to make another one. I'm not sure if he did, but from then on, I have made sure that he makes at least two entire casserole dishes full of frittata. Then one year when I was in college I came home and made him make one and we froze it and I brought it on the plane with me back to school! Haha. Good times.

Now I'm a grownup (well, kind of) and I can make my own frittata. Of course, it will never be as good as my Dad's, but at least I have something to aim for!

This one turned out REALLY well! I make frittata different from the rest of the world, I think, thanks to my Dad. I dont cook the egg mixture on the stove but put it in the oven for longer. I LOVED all the different vegetables that I was able to put in! Of course, it was WAY better the second day after all the juices could sneak in. Gotsta love the juice sneakage!

Vegetable Frittata
Adapted from eCurry

Asparagus spears, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic
Green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
Shiitake mushrooms
8 eggs
few tablespoons milk
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Blanch the asparagus by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes, then picking them up and placing in a cold ice bath.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Saute the onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Add the bell peppers and spinach. Saute for a few minutes, before adding the asparagus and green onions. Place cooked vegetables in a large casserole dish.

Whisk the eggs and milk together, then pour over the vegetables. Place in oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until eggs are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment