Friday, April 10, 2009

Going Bananas


Ah, the age-old question: What to do when all the bananas you buy start to go before you can eat them?

I think for most people, banana bread is the first thing that comes to mind. I wanted to be a bit more creative today, however. Dun dun dun dun! Enter: Banana-Walnut Whole Wheat Pancakes!

I have been passing these on Joy the Baker's website recently, and thought this morning I would give 'em a whirl. Wow! Were these delicious or what! I definitely tweaked the recipe, which is below. Usually, I am not a huge pancake person. Sometimes, when I go home, I like to let my Dad make me pancakes, but otherwise, I feel like I have more important things to eat for the first meal of the day. These may have changed my mind about pancakes, though. Definitely a keeper!

Banana-Walnut Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup cornmeal

1 Tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs, separated

1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus additional for brushing the skillet

1 cup half and half

1/2 cup buttermilk

2 ripe banana, mashed

1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

Combine the flour, oatmeal, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the yolks, vegetable oil, half and half and buttermilk. Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Let rest 5 minutes.

Add the mashed bananas and walnuts and mix.

Whip the two egg whites with a whisk (if you must make things difficult for yourself) or a hand mixer until peaks start to form. Gently fold into the batter.

WARNING: Try not to taste the batter, because it is super delicious. I made this mistake and just about did a nose-dive into the bowl.

Spoon two or three tablespoons onto a hot, oiled saucepan and cook until done. (I think you know how to cook a pancake!)

Top with sliced bananas and real maple syrup!

1 comment: