Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bread is Scary


I admit it. Making bread scares me. I need to work on that.

I decided I was up for a challenge today. Maybe it's the rain. A really like making my own bread and being able to put lots of yummy whole grain stuff in it. The last loaf I made was a bit dry and while it was good, it wasn't spectacular.

Today I used a recipe I found from Cooking Light. I added some stuff to it and it turned out really well. Spice and I split a slice right out of the oven and OMG! It was SO good! I will have to keep you posted as to how it is once cooled more. I am hoping it has a good consistency so I can use it for sandwiches. A lovely PB&J, perhaps?

Honey-Oatmeal Wheat Bread
2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons molasses
1 envelope active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour, divided
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup uncooked rolled oats
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup honey
3 tablepoons olive-oil

Combine first three ingredients in a 2-cup glass measuring cup; let yeast mixture stand five minutes.

Combine 2 cups all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, flaxseed meal, wheat germ and salt.

Beat yeast mixture, 1 cup all purpose flour, honey and olive oil until well blended. Gradually add whole wheat flour mixture.

Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, adding additional all purpose flour as needed. Place dough in a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray.

Cover bowl of dough with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about one hour.

Punch down dough and divide in half. Roll each half into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up each rectangle jelly-roll fashion and pinch ends to seal. Place loaves, seam side down, into two loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, until loaves are golden. Cool pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment