Monday, April 6, 2009

Another Saturday Baking Bonanza


What did I do on Saturday? First, I baked. Then I baked some more. Then, I baked even more. Then I took time off from baking and maniacally cleaned the apartment. Then I went for a run, met a friend to go shopping and we headed home for a quiet evening on the couch.

Lo and behold, I walked into my apartment that night and almost peed my pants because a herd of people yelled "Happy Birthday" and scared the living daylights out of me =). Yup, thats right. My friends are awesome and threw me a surprise birthday party. One of the first things out of Spice's mouth was "So, thanks for cleaning and baking for your party!" Haha. Yeah, I'm cool like that.

Anyways, back to food (I just had to share that tidbit of my weekend with you). While I was in the middle of Saturday Baking Bonanza: Round 3, I realized that maybe I should start baking some healthier things, so I don't look like a water buffalo in ballet on Monday. So, I made some healthy Oatmeal Cookies based on a recipe I found on Whole Grain Gourmet.

These cookies are pretty awesome. Awesome in the fact that they have no butter or sugar in them and are made with whole wheat flour. And they taste pretty darn yummy as well!

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 335 degrees. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine with honey, applesauce, olive oil, molasses, egg and vanilla. Mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips.

Eat a large chunk of the dough (!).

Drop by Tablespoons on to a non-stick baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes (mine took a bit longer). Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy cookies that don't make you feel guilty! YIPPEE!

1 comment:

  1. Way to pull off a surprise party for Sugar, SpiceGirl! Sugar, that's cute that you baked and cleaned for your own party. :o

    ReplyDelete