Friday, April 3, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies...my way


I want to find the ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's not too difficult to please me with a chocolate chip cookie. While some people enjoy flat, crisp cookies; others enjoy soft, chewy ones. If you put a chocolate chip cookie in front of me, I will most likely gobble it up and love it no matter what.

I have my favorite recipes out there for different moods. I LOVE the original Nestle Tollhouse recipe. When I need a great cookie, I'll go to that one. Awhile back, however, my Stepmom started making chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil substituted for the butter. The flavor this brings to the cookie is unreal.

So, in my quest, I made my own recipe combining both the Nestle Tollhouse Recipe and my Stepmom's Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (http://eatingetc.blogspot.com/2008/03/coconut-oil-chocolate-chunk-cookies.html) with coconut oil. They turned out very delicious, I must say. However, they came out of the oven flatter than I would have liked, so next time I will probably try to be more patient and let the dough rest overnight in the refrigerator.

I also believe one of the keys to a chocolate chip cookie is the chocolate chips themselves. Call me a chocolate snob, but for a good cookie, the chocolate needs to be quality. I am fairly obsessed with dark chocolate and have found my way over to the Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chips. I think you can find them at most grocery stores now.

Happy baking!

Allison's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Start by creaming the butter, coconut oil and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Add the chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes on a non-stick or buttered baking sheet. Let cookies cool for several minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment