Monday, April 27, 2009

The Frozen Yogurt Epidemic


First there was the cupcake insanity that is still sweeping the country. The next big thing that has emerged in New York is Frozen Yogurt. The most popular ones that come to mind are Pinkberry, Red Mango and Tasti D-lite (not sure if Tasti D qualifies as Fro-Yo, but it's popular nonetheless). During the summer, I inwardly play a battle to not head to one of the aforementioned stores for dessert everyday. Usually I lose.

For my birthday this year, my parents got me an ice cream maker along with David Lebovitz's cookbook The Perfect Scoop (since every time I go home I devour every last inch of my Stepmom's homemade mint chocolate chip and greedily ask for more). The first time I tried it out, I attempted cake batter ice cream. That went a little too well and I got a stomach ache from eating too much. Needless to say, I kept the ice cream maker in the freezer for awhile after that =).

In came the blazing temperatures, this weekend, however, and out came the ice cream maker.

The goal: homemade Pinkberry!

I found a recipe in Lebovitz's book for Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and took a stab at it. I used Greek yogurt and added some mini chocolate chips. YUM! I am currently on day three of not shoving the entire container of it in my face!

This turned out VERY well. It tasted excellent just after churning. Unfortunately, it got really hard after I put it in the freezer. Still yummy, though, after I put it in the microwave for a couple seconds. I may try putting strawberries in this next time and see how it turns out!

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt/ Pinkberry Imitation
2 cups 0% Total Fage Greek Yogurt
1 cup 2% Total Fage Greek Yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix the yogurt, sugar and vanilla together. Refrigerate for one hour. Then Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

2 comments:

  1. You're cracking me up. My fave lines:
    1) "That went a little too well and I got a stomach ache from eating too much."
    2) "I am currently on day three of not shoving the entire container of it in my face!"
    You're ahead of me; I haven't tried making fro yo yet, and think I better get that Lebovitz book! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] usually just make David Lebovitz’s Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, but I wanted to spice things up a bit with a little razzleberry action. I think I still prefer the [...]

    ReplyDelete