Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Dessert


Spice and I made Easter dinner on Sunday and invited several friends over to join in the yumminess! What was I in charge of? Yeah, you guessed it: Dessert! (Seriously, what else do I do?)

I wanted something somewhat light and definitely fruity, since, although it is still freezing here in New York, spring and summer are supposedly on the horizon. My Aunt usually makes me a delicious pound cake for my birthday every year, and I thought perhaps I could try to recreate its magical goodness and then top it with some berries.

I found a Cream Cheese Poundcake recipe on Smitten Kitchen that I decided to try, along with a Blueberry Sauce from Joy the Baker. The pound cake turned out well, although I think it could have used a little less time in the oven. I think it tasted better the second day, too. I also used two loaf pans instead of the tube pan (simply because I don't own one). But the blueberry sauce really made the dessert! I definitely will be trying this sauce on other things form now on!

Now if I could only get Spice to post the AMAZING Tangerine Ham she made...get excited!

Cream Cheese Pound Cake
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
1 8-oz package cream cheese
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two loaf pans.

Mix the butter and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix followed by the vanilla and then the flour and salt together. Mix until blended completely.

Pour the batter into the pans. Bake until golden brown, about one hour. Remove the cake form the pan and let it cool completely.

Blueberry Sauce
1 bag frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water

Let blueberries and sugar simmer about 10 minutes in a large saucepan over medium heat. While at a simmer, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the mixture thickens a bit and remove from flame. Dress pound cake with sauce. Utter deliciousness.

1 comment:

  1. This looks fantastic. Deb at Smitten Kitchen has the best baking recipes. I am not much of a baker ( i hate to measure) , so I always love reading about desserts that people make. I made a pound cake for easter too. From a box. I filled it with mandarin oranges and Ghiradelli chocolate chips. I topped it with a chocolate ganache. SIMPLE. And, didn't require measuring:)

    ReplyDelete