Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Weekend Breakfast


I have pretty much the same breakfast every weekday: a delicious fruit smoothie. On the weekends, I branch out. And by branch out, I mean I make Steel Cut Oats (I guess this isn't really branching out because I eat it at least once a weekend).

My Stepmom at Eating, Etc. taught me how to make steel cut oats the last time I went home and I have to say I am pretty much obsessed. I like that you can add whatever you want to it. Lately I have been adding blackberries, bananas, and maple syrup. Yum! But feel free to add nuts, more fruit, honey, granola, brown sugar, etc.

And PS: Its tastes infinitely better that my picture looks =)

Steel Cut Oats
1 cup water
1/4 cup steel cut oats
cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom (or any spices you would like!)

Bring water to a boil. Add the steel cut oats and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the spices and cook for another couple minutes. Stir in the add ins you prefer. Oats are done when they are the consistency you prefer (I like mine kind of runny).

No comments:

Post a Comment