Monday, May 4, 2009

My Foray into Bread


Contrary to what you may believe reading this blog and all the sugary concoctions I make, I eat fairly healthily. I really enjoy fruits, vegetables and whole grain anything! I have really enjoyed making my own bread, lately. I really like being able to control what goes in and not having any preservatives in my bread.

This bread was an Allison-made creation of yumminess! I started off with King Arthur Flour's Honey Oatmeal Bread and added and subtracted so much stuff, it hardly looks the same at all! I was a bit worried putting it into the oven that it wasn't going to come out well, but OOO LA LA! I am a genius! (applause, applause) This bread is fantabulous! I am on the third day of eating it and it is still so moist. Because of all I added, it has so much flavor as well!

Allison's Wholesome Bread
Based on King Arthur Flour's Honey Oatmeal Bread

3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups whole oats
2 packets "highly active" dry yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons powdered milk
1/4 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup mix off flaxseed meal, wheat gluten and wheat germ
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Combine the lukewarm water and the oats and let rest for twenty minutes.

Dissolve yeast in about 2 tablespoons of the lukewarm water.

Add remaining ingredients to the oats, including the water/yeast mixture. Mix and knead by hand until the dough feels springy.

Place the dough in a well greased bowl and allow it to rise, covered for about 2 hours.

Gently deflate dough and shape it into an 8 inch log. Place it in a lightly greased loaf pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow it to rise about 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Tent loosely with aluminum foil and bake for another 25 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to make this on one of my next bread-baking forays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I would render it unhealthy by slathering it with buttah. I love the addition of applesauce--a new idea for me to try!

    ReplyDelete