Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Breakfast of Champions...or a breakfast for muffin lovers


Either way, I woke up yesterday morning and HAD to clean the apartment. My consolation prize to myself: Blueberry Muffins. Yum!

I found this recipe on Joy the Baker's blog. They turned out well for me (good little muffin-wuffins!), and they were pretty light for a muffin too. Blueberries were plentiful in our grocery store so I was able to use fresh ones (!!!!! = me being really excited about fresh fruit starting to come into season). Next time I make these, I think I will try a berry combo with perhaps blueberries, raspberries AND blackberries. I know. You think I've probably gone nuts, but I just LOVE me some fresh berries!

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
adapted from Joy the Baker

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 large egg
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl combine the applesauce, milk, brown sugar, molasses and egg.

Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well. Fold in the blueberries.

Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter. Bake 16-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment