Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chocolate Fix


Since I eat so much sugar, when I bake for myself, I try to make things a bit healthier than they usually are. Usually I try to cut down on the sugar, butter and use whole wheat flour. I find lots of recipes that cater to this on 101 Cookbooks. Recently, I decided to give a go at Biscotti, and found a great recipe that I decided to base mine on at 101 Cookbooks.

Instead of making almond chocolate chip, I gave myself more of a dose of chocolate with simple Chocolate Biscotti. I found this to be a great base for something more to come. Maybe next time I will add dried cherries, or apricots or even white chocolate. Hmm. So much to bake and so little time to do it in.

Basic Chocolate Biscotti
adapted from 101 Cookbooks

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon fin grain sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Add the applesauce, eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined. Divide dough in half and shape each into a log. I made mine smaller (about 2 inches wide by maybe 6 inches long), but you can shape them however you would like. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, until it is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool for ten minutes.

Slice dough to desired thickness and lay each cookie face down on the baking sheet. Return to the oven for 20 to 30 more minutes until the cookies are firm.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever used agave nectar? Great substitute for sugar in baking and has a low glycemic index.

    ReplyDelete