Monday, June 21, 2010

Uncle Seth's Pink Cookies



The Pink Cookie. If you are not from the Seattle area, you are going, "huh, what's with the pink cookie? And who's Uncle Seth?"

I am here to enlighten you about a delicious little cookie that you will find everywhere in Seattle called Uncle Seth's Pink Cookie. They are a soft shortbread-like cookie base with a very sweet and airy pink frosting, made extra large, about 4 inches across. I remember eating these after school when I was little, when I went to the mall and at the gym where I swam growing up.

I saw a post from LadyJayPee at Eating, etc. about her version of the Pink Cookie and got a huuuuge hankering to try my hand at it! Although I haven't had one of these cookies in a long time, I thought I could remember well enough to do a bangarang immitation. I found a lovely post at Cakespy about the cookies and went ahead and tried a shortbread with powdered sugar and a light buttercream frosting, both from allrecipes.

I thought this was a pretty close copycat. I thought the frosting was just about spot-on, very light and extremely sweet! The cookie was pretty close, but still no dice. The shortbread wasn't quite soft enough compared to Uncle Seth's and when I sent them across the country to my parents, they reportedly fell apart. Next time I may try it with a sugar cookie recipe.

Please enlighten me with suggestions if you have them!



Uncle Seth's Pink Cookies, an attempt

Shortbread
Adapted from allrecipes

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 375 degreees F.

Whip butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, constartch and flour. Beat on low for one minute, then on high for 3 to 4 minutes. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and cut with a round, 4-inch cookie cutter. Place several inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-13 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Buttercream Frosting
Adapted from allrecipes

1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar and continue creaming until well blended.

Add salt, vanilla and 6 ounces whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional 2 ounces whipping cream if necessary. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you found another tribute to Uncle Seth's cookies that I'd never found. There are so many tweaks I want to try that others have suggested. So many recipes, so little time! I loved the frosting on yours and meant to ask you how you made it. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] with one stone with these cupcakes. On one hand, I needed to get rid of the leftover frosting from Uncle Seth’s Pink Cookies, and I FINALLY got to make Pioneer Woman’s Chocolate Sheet Cake (in cupcake form, of [...]

    ReplyDelete