Friday, June 18, 2010

Birthday Sugar Cookies



A super Happy Birthday today to my favorite Stepmom and yours!

To The Loverly: LADY JAY PEE!

I shipped off some cookies to her last week, and tucked them in for a nice trip across the country. I'm highly doubting they made it there in one piece, but LJP didn't seem to care as I got a phone call immediately after their arrival with a cookie already in the mouth =)

I used a birthday cake and a sunflower cookie cutter for these, along with royal blue and orange Americolor gel pastes. To make the dots on the birthday cake (I stole this from Bake at 350), you basically just need to make sure the base color icing is very runny and quickly after filling in, use the other color to make the dots. Bridget gives a MUCH better explanation here.

I got the idea for the sunflowers from Meaghan's book, Cookie Sensations.

You can find the sugar cookie and royal icing recipe I use here.

So, a VERY happy Birthday to you, LJP! Thank you for being such a wonderful part of my life =) Lots of Love!

4 comments:

  1. Awww, thanks, Hunners. Those cookies were SO cute and delish! Still chewing on them across the miles! Love you, JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are darling! Love the color combo and the sunflowers with the cakes. I may be borrowing some inspiration from you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed them, JP =)

    Wow, sugar cookie royalty! Thanks for visiting, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just like to mention that this is the best "works cited" blog I've ever come across. I'm about to make some sugar cookies and I had to take a second and let you know I appreciate your blend of inspiration from other bakers and your own applications of it. You're a gem among baking blogs! You're an awesome possum.

    ReplyDelete