Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lettuce Wraps



There's a world called P.F. Chang's where everyone is happy and food is always delicious. It is one of my favorite restaurants and my favorite thing on the menu is the lettuce wraps. I can never get enough of them! I'm not sure if its the texture of the meat and vegetables together, or the fact that you wrap it in a lettuce leaf, or the sweet and slightly spicy sauce, but I go nuts over these.

Thank goodness Steamy Kitchen recreated them, or I would be up the creek without a paddle because no P.F. Chang's are in the city! Gulp!

It has been awhile since my last run in with my favorite restaurant, but these lettuce wraps certainly got the craving out of my system! I loved the muted asian sauce and especially the green apple that was in these!

Instead of appetizer portions, I served a heaping pile of the meat/vegetable mixture on a large lettuce leaf and called it a night.



Lettuce Wraps
From Steamy Kitchen

The Sauce:
1-1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce

Filling:
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 stalks, scallions
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen pea/carrots, finely diced bell peppers, etc.)
1/2 green apple, finely diced

Toppings/Wrap:
1 head boston bibb lettuce, leaves washed and separated
2 medium carrots, Use vegetable peeler to peel cut carrot into paper thin strips.  Use knife to further cut into super duper thin strands.

Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

Heat a wok or large frying pan on high heat with cooking oil. Add the scallions, ginger and garlic and fry for a few seconds. Add the turkey or chicken (I used ground turkey) and fry until cooked almost through. Add the vegetables and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add the sauce ingredients and stir. Let simmer for 1 minute to thicken slightly. Add the apples at the last second and toss to coat. Remove from heat.

Serve over the lettuce cups, with carrot shavings.

No comments:

Post a Comment