Monday, June 7, 2010

Rhubarb Pâte de Fruit



So, a few weeks ago I noticed the abundance of rhubarb in my grocery store.

"Woo HOO! Rhubarb time!"

I immediately got a large bundle and brought it home to bake with. While in the checkout line, the woman behind me kindly asked what the large reddish stalks were in my basket. I told her it was rhubarb and she gave me a funny look and asked how I used it. I gave her a laundry list of things you could do, getting more and more excited with each baked good. As I paid and left, I heard her comment to the checkout clerk that I must be a chef or something.

HA! I wish!



Anyways, when I came upon this recipe, I really didn't know what Pâte de Fruit was. All I knew was that I had some rhubarb and wanted to make something new with it! Of course, I got my heart set on this Pâte de Fruit before I realized our grocery store didn't have liquid pectin. Outrageous, I know. So, by the time I got some, my rhubarb had got bad. By this time, I was pretty fed up with trying to make this stuff, but with the savenger hunt I went on, I knew I had to try!

The Pâte de Fruit was very easy to make, the only tough part was making sure to keep checking the candy thermometer! The result was rhubarb-sweet and tangy gummy candies that melt in your mouth! How does it get any better on a hot day?!



Rhubarb Pâte de Fruit
From Sugarcrafter

3/4 cup rhubarb juice
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3-oz envelope liquid pectin
2 teasoons lemon juice

Line an 8 by 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Chop the rhubarb and throw it into a food processor. Process until pureed. Strain the juices through a mesh seive into a saucepan.

Heat the rhubarb and lemon juices and 1 cup sugar over medium heat until the mixture reaches 113 degrees F. Add in the remaining sugar. When the mixture reaches 238 degrees, pour in the pectin. Continue to boil and stir for 1-2 minutes.



Remove from the heat and pour into the pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar and let set for 2 hours.



When set, lift out of the pan. Cut into 1 inch squares and roll in granulated sugar to coat. Store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, did someone say gummy candies? Is it sort of like fruit leather? I've never heard of it either. We have a ton-o-rhubarb in the back yard. Don't forget rhubarb sauce (like applesauce), rhubarb cake, rhubarb crisp! You chef, you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since gummy candies are my all time, numero uno, 100% favorite candy I am utterly regretful that I missed out on these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you ARE a chef! What a creative thing to do with rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete