Monday, June 14, 2010

Nutella and Orange Bundt Cake



I am always trying to find a way to add Nutella into things. I put it on my toast, in my cookies and more often than not, just eat it off a spoon. It's like peanut butter for those with a sweet tooth! =D

So, in the name of Nutella love, I made an orange spiced bundt cake with a Nutella swirl. Whew! It was nuts! Orange and Nutella are such a great flavor combination! And on a bundt it's even more perfect because there is almost a non-existent expectation for it to be frosted!

The cake is a Martha Stewart Vanilla cake that I added orange zest to. I combined a cup of Nutella with an egg to help break it up (Food Librarian's idea! Genius!), and swirled that into the vanilla cake batter. I, of course, had to raise the baking time and think I could have taken the bundt out a few minutes earlier, which I reflected below.

I loved this cake. The flavor combo is perfect and it is so soft and moist!



Nutella and Orange Bundt Cake
Adapted from Martha Stewart and Food Librarian

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
Zest from 1 large orange

1 cup Nutella
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour the bundt pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the orange zest.

In a small bowl, combine the Nutella and the egg until the Nutella has broken up a bit.

Place about half of the vanilla cake batter into the bundt pan. Layer the Nutella and egg mixture on top and finish with the rest of the cake batter. Using a knife, gently mix the Nutella and cake batter together.

Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before inverting cake to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! (We watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" the other night, which bundt cake reminds me of. "Bundt?!" "Bundt!") (I guess you had to be there.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I always think of that scene too! "Bonk!" "Bundt!"

    ReplyDelete