Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chocolate Cake Cupcakes with Pink Frosting



I killed two birds with one stone with these cupcakes. On one hand, I needed to get rid of the leftover frosting from Uncle Seth's Pink Cookies, and I FINALLY got to make Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet Cake (in cupcake form, of course)!

These guys were dangerously delicious. I brought some to work in a tupperware and when I set them out in the kitchen, they'd kind of mushed together from the journey on the train. By the time I went to the bathroom and came back, however, they were all gone, so apparently they were still super good!

The chocolate cake is. um. well. to die for. It is very similar to a devil's food cake, with the same chocolate flavor. This is definitely not a dark chocolate kind of cake. But, boy! Could I just eat the whole thing or what?! And of course the frosting complimented the chocolate perfectly. Although I think ANYTHING would complement this cake. Sheesh!

I omitted the pecans, but still made the chocolate frosting. THEN I topped with my leftover pink frosting and a few pink sprinkles.



PW's Chocolate Sheet Cake Cupcakes
From the Pioneer Woman (if you don't already have her cookbook, you should immediately buy it. It's been my favorite reading material since March)
  • 2 cups Flour

  • 2 cups Sugar

  • ¼ teaspoons Salt

  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa

  • 2 sticks Butter

  • 1 cup Boiling Water

  • ½ cups Buttermilk

  • 2 whole Beaten Eggs

  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda

  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla

  • 1-¾ stick Butter

  • 4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa

  • 6 Tablespoons Milk

  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla

  • 1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar

  • In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.

    In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
    Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.

    In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into a muffin pan and bake at 350-degrees for 18-20 minutes.

    While cake is baking, make the icing. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Pour over the warm cake.

    6 comments:

    1. That is genious, using both frostings!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Haha, oh you know! Any excuse to use more sugar =)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love the PW chocolate cake. I haven't tried it as cupcakes yet. Yours look wonderful!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love the double frosting idea! I'm pretty crazy about chocolate sheet cake and the frosting that tops it, but the pink over the chocolate makes it even better.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks, Steph!

      Linda, I had never had chocolate sheet cake and now I'm obsessed! Must be a Southern thing that I was just never introduced to!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Can you do the frosting with a ziplock bag and it steel look like a the pitcher. Because I want to use it for me class room election.

      ReplyDelete