Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cupcake "Burgers"



Happy day after Memorial Day! I had a great weekend! Filled with lots of sun and food! What could be better?

Spice and I travelled upstate to celebrate this weekend at a BBQ. We had lots of fun relaxing and just enjoying the sunshine! We even got to enjoy some stars!

I just had to bring dessert for the BBQ and after a little prowling, I found these adorable cupcake burgers at Bakerella! When I saw the burgers, I just knew I had to make them!

 These aren't as time consuming and you may think. Although, I'm sure if you did the "fries" and the baskets, it would take up most of an afternoon.

To make the burgers, all you have to do is make some yellow cupcakes. Gulp, I ran out of time and used a mix. Never again. I promise. Although they still tasted good!



Next, make a batch of brownies. Yum! Fudge brownies will work best on these. If you get them too cake-like, your burger is going to fall apart. After the brownies have cooled completely, use a 2-inch cookies cutter to make as many rounds as you can. Out of a 9 by 13 inch pan, I was able to get 23 rounds. Bakerella said she got 24. She wins.



Now, I am going to recommend using store-bought icing for these. WHAT!? No, I'm serious. I think it will hold up better than the homemade frosting I used. Anywhoo, get some frosting, and dye it green, red and yellow. Lettuce, ketchup and mustard, please!

Place each frosting in a ziploc bag with the just the very tip cut off.

To assemble these puppies, cut the cupcakes in half and place a brownie on the bottom half of each one. I started with the ketchup and piped a bunch on the top/outside of each brownie, followed by the mustard and lettuce. Place the top half atop the condiments.

To seal the deal, I brushed a little water on the top of each cupcake and sprinkled some sesame seeds on.



Then, if you want to feel REEEEAAAALLLYYY good about yourself, bring them to a BBQ full of boys and watch them be slightly confused, as Compton is here:



Which will quickly turn to delight and eternal love for the cupcake maker:

12 comments:

  1. three words.....I AM JEALOUS! These look AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so STINKIN' cute that I can't STAND it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative!! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol... as always, I love your boy commentary! Those are so cute!! I've made those Nilla wafer/peppermint patty "burgers", but I think the cupcake/brownie combo would taste much better and be easier to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you all!

    Michelle: I've never made the nilla wafer/peppermint patty ones! I do love peppermint pattys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant!! I love these cupcake burgers, especially since the patty is a brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to have people over this weekend just to make these little boogers:) Who really cares about the food-- let's eat cupcake burgers for dinner!!! What icing did you buy? White, vanilla, cream cheese? I am always in a tizzy when I have to pick out a "white" icing... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kait: Perfect for when you cant decide if you want cupcakes or brownies! Just throw 'em together! haha =)

    Ashley: Cupcakes for dinner is brilliant =) I used a homemade vanilla buttercream, but Bakerella used just a can of vanilla frosting from the store. I would recommend the store-bought vanilla because I think it will hold up better and not run as much as mine did. Thanks for stopping by! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are too cute..I'm going to make these for my daughters 3rd birthday next month and call them Krabby Patties since we're doing a Spongebob theme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are TOO CUTE! Those pics of Compton are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wondering...instead of using a 9x13 pan to bake brownies then cutting them out could I just bake them in my muffin/cupcake pan by putting just a few tbs of batter in the bottom? To save on time?? Or has someone tried this?

    ReplyDelete