Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Strawbery Freezer Jam



So many delicious strawberries and so many possibilities for them! Based on what I hear from others around the country, stawberry season is in full swing everywhere! Our grocery store and local fruit and vegetable stands have had strawberries on sale aplenty! And not just strawberries, but luscious, juicy, bright red strawberries with a tang all their own! Recipe one to use up strawberries: Freezer Jam! I'm sure this could be made with another berry. I bet blackberries or marion berries would be equally delicious!

This jam was so easy. The only tedious part was cutting the strawberries! And the whole thing came together very quickly...under one hour or so.

I didn't have the powdered pectin this recipe called for, so I used liquid pectin I had on hand. The  jam wasn't as thick as I would have liked, so if you use liquid pectin, I would put in more than it calls for. Other than that, this jam is delicious! The strawberries all rose to the top in my jars, and I think that has something to do with the liquid pectin as well. Still tastes great, though!



Strawberry Freezer Jam
Eating, etc.

2c strawberries
4c sugar
3/4c water
1 - 1.75oz box of pectin
4 one-pint jars with lids

Crush berries, one cup at a time, using a potato masher. Pre-measure sugar into a separate bowl. Stir sugar into fruit, mixing well. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a small saucepan, stir together 3/4c water and one box pectin. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Add pectin mixture into fruit, stirring constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy (about 3 minutes).

Pour into clean jars, leaving 1/2" space at top for expansion during freezing; cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks, or freeze up to 1 year. Thaw in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment