Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pesto



Wow! So many savory recipes all of a sudden! I can assure you, its only because it is too hot to turn on our oven at the moment. I'm not just saying that. It has been above 90 degrees outside for the past few weeks. Let me tell you, those subway platforms....yum! Ok, I'm lying about that last part. They are absolutely disgusting.

On to the pesto! We have a basil plant now in our apartment who started off as a 4 inch tall little guy. He has grown to about 2 and a half feet tall now! Although Spice was scared to pick off all the basil leaves for fear that they wouldn't return, she did to make this pesto! And it was time...the poor plant was getting heavy from so much foliage!



The pesto was great. We used it for the base of a pizza, as a dipping sauce and in pasta. So many possibilities! This recipe is gvery versatile and you can tweak it to your heart's content. Spice ended up putting in a bit more olive oil because we wanted a thinner consistency. This will definitely be a repeat recipe in our apartment.

Pesto
From Eating, etc.
2 cups fresh basil leaves, tightly packed

1/2 cup olive oil (we used about 3/4 cup)

1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts (we used pine nuts)

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

4 cloves garlic (Mince them first to ensure the garlic is well-distributed)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and purée. Use immediately or place in freezer-safe containers & freeze until ready to use. Thaw in refrigerator or at room temperature (do not thaw in microwave!).

2 comments:

  1. I like to freeze my pesto in ice cube trays. Then I only have to thaw the amount I want to use. Great Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!! My Mom freezes it in baggies and it saves forever! I'm also so happy to see that you used pine nuts and not WALNUTS!

    ReplyDelete